The wound that refuses to heal.

It’s been an up and down existence during our long-awaited cross-country motorhome trip. My ankle continues to cause problems and add unprecedented financial burdens. For the past three days, I’d been experiencing a lot more pain, especially when I tried to sleep to at night. Then yesterday it was difficult to walk on my right foot and the redness around the “wound that refuses to heal” had expanded. Fear of infection led me to find an urgent care facility in an adjacent town. There was nothing in Thompson, Ohio where we are currently planted in the beautiful Thompson/Grand River KOA RV park.

We were grateful that the park’s caretakers had the telephone number of an Uber driver in town. The service has proved invaluable on this trip. Because of my injury, I’m not yet comfortable taking a ride on the scooter that is mounted on the back of our motorhome. However, when there was no response from the Uber driver and no visible driver available on Tommy’s app, I was taking a scooter ride into serious consideration.

To have known so much pain and finally be past it and have it thrust on me again was discouraging, disheartening and downright scary. I am very aware of the serious implications of an infection. When Tommy still hadn’t heard from the driver after I’d showered, put on my makeup and done my hair, I felt desperate to the point of tears. I called the office of the RV park and asked the caretaker if anyone who was going to be working the entire day had a car that we could use for the trip to Urgent Care in Chardon. I assured her that we would gladly pay for the use of one. She heard the desperation in my voice and asked if I needed to call an ambulance. An ambulance was the last thing I needed. She said she would see what she could do and get back to me.

Within five minutes of our conversation, Tommy looked at his phone and said he’s missed a call. Apparently, since it’s the little dip in the lake my husbands i-phone doesn’t ring anymore. Low and behold it was the Uber driver that had called and when Tommy dialed him back and he answered. I was more relieved than I can say.

I almost cried with relief. Once again, due to pain and fear, I was a mess. I was disgusted with myself for feeling that way too. I hate it when I can’t control my feelings. In my heart, I know that God has everything under control. I don’t know why I am going through this but I know I will be better for it on the other side. Tommy and I will get some life lessons and growth experiences that will help us to grow spiritually and one day we will be used to help someone else. That’s a lot easier to say this morning than it would have been yesterday.

The Uber driver was at our motorhome twenty-five minutes later. The town of Chardon was twelve miles away through some very scenic territory. The folks at the Chardon Campus Urgent Care Center were really great. I was scheduled to have an x-ray in five days in Buffalo, New York, at the twelve-week post-surgery mark. Getting it done in the urgent care would give the doctor a chance to see what was going on inside of my ankle and give us one less hassle during our visit to Niagara Falls. Thankfully, my X-rays looked good. The doctor did a long battery of tests that assured that the infection had not gone into my bone and Tommy and I were more than relieved.

However, with another infection in the wound, I’m back on antibiotics. Scar tissue has developed around the wound and the doctor believes the sutures inside of my ankle are trying to escape my body and causing the irritation. He also said he thought I was doing too much. He said I needed to walk less and keep my foot elevated. He had no idea how often my foot is propped up on pillows. Tommy refers to me as the Princess and the Pea. Youngsters who may not know that story can Google it. The kind doctor showed me how to dress the wound and it is yet another new regimen. The previous doctor told me not to change the bandage anymore than I had to. This doctor wants me to change it every day. The previous doctor told me that was impossible to ice my ankle too much. My new attending physician suggested that too much icing could inhibit healing. All I know is, icing brings me great relief and this stupid wound will not heal.

As I said earlier, I don’t know why I am experiencing this trial. I may not understand why this happened until I go home to be with Jesus. What I do know is that my meltdown was shorter, I’ve excepted the fact that I will have to go back to using my knee scooter when I go longer distances, and that my faith in God’s timing and redemption is sound. This too shall pass and I am very blessed.

Thanks for letting me ramble. God bless, Cat

Leave a Comment